Autumn is upon us, as the season of gathering and harvesting, and of replenishing our stores to get ready for the cold weather. Along with this seasonal cycle, we are of course in the “year like no other,” and dealing with all the changes of the pandemic, racial justice awakening, climate change, and the election. We truly need to gather all our resources of grit, endurance, self-compassion, and care. Even during this time of upheaval, Breathing Space has been able to continue 3 of our service programs: for the Pre-release Center, the Western Mass Recovery Center, and for the Gandara Women’s Recovery House in Holyoke.
To recap this year so far: we closed our Studio doors on March 13, and chose not to renew our lease when it ended in May. For the warm months, we have offered livestream classes and Yoga in the Park. We are so grateful to those of you who have come along with us on this journey into new ways to practice together!
As we move into Fall, we are looking at the best ways to offer indoor classes once again. So far:
- We will continue Yoga in the Park classes as long as we can (snowga, anyone?)
- Masks will be worn during any indoor classes at all times
- Indoor classes will be limited to 8-10 on-site participants
- Indoor classes will also be livestreamed, so that you can choose to participate in-person or from home
- We will pilot our first indoor class (no livestream for this first pilot) on September 24. See the Facebook event for details https://www.facebook.com/events/346222799855389/
We have been offering exclusively by-donation classes, without any paywall so that any class could be taken for free. For our needed shift to indoor classes and the infrastructure to support this, we have made the following changes to class passes & policies:
- There are two free classes per week: Gentle Yoga, Thursdays 5:30pm and Yoga in the Park, Sundays 10:00am
- Single yoga classes are sliding scale $2-$15, according to your ability to pay (No drop-ins allowed – see #4, below)
- Monthly memberships (recurring autopay) are sliding-scale $25-$50, and provide 12 classes per month. We ask for a 3-month commitment for the monthly memberships.
- Class registration closes 4 hours before start time. Please plan ahead and book your classes.
- A minimum of 3 participants will be required to run the class, and if a class doesn’t make, we will notify you by email 4 hours before start time.
- You may cancel a class up to 4 hours before start of class. If you miss the class and didn’t cancel, one class credit will be used.
- All of these details are spelled out here: Cancellations and Refund Policies
Thank you so much for your faith and just plain showing up for class during this “year like no other.” We are positive and optimistic about the way forward for Breathing Space, to support our community and to fulfill our mission to bring free yoga classes to prisons and addiction recovery centers in Massachusetts.